Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Sick, but in the ordinary way

I've been fighting a cold for a couple of weeks. I took prednisone the first time laryngitis threatened but I only had the one dose on hand -- I didn't expect to need it again so soon! Friday night the real thing set in and I have had the most painful, raging sore throat I can recall having in my adult life. I tried to get to the doctor today but there were no appointments available, and I couldn't do after-hours, so unless I take a sudden turn for the better tonight I'll go tomorrow come hell or high water. This is horrid. It doesn't look like strep, though, so I'm not sure what they can do (except more prednisone, but it's a little late for that) -- there's a good chance antibiotics will be useless.

Anyway, as a result of this I am drinking TONS of tea (to keep it bearable) and not eating much (I get hungry but not much is appealing, and a lot of food hurts to swallow) so I'm back to 141.5 as of this morning.

I did exercise yesterday! I went to the gym and used the bike for 20 minutes, and that felt good enough that I tried the elliptical for 20 more -- both pretty gently. My bad leg got tired but nothing worse. I had grand plans to exercise at home this afternoon but I'm feeling so much worse with the cold (or whatever) today that during my planned exercise time I curled up on the sofa and read. SOMEday I'll be able to get back to a normal routine!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I've had the cold, too but it seems like it's heading out of body not rooting. So that's good. But it kept me from working out last week. I hope you feel better. I pumped in tons of water and vit C and that seemed to help. Hard to know. I also went on a hot tea binge and even did the hot water/bowl/towel over my head to loosen up the congestion. I have to say it felt so good. Oh, I'm also running the humidifier. Colds love the dry weather.