Monday, November 22, 2010

More Cowbell

I can't remember how that title relates to my post, but I decided it was the title, and then had to research the phrase to figure out if it was "more cowbell" or "not enough cowbell" and so now I can't remember why I wanted to say it.

Anyway - so, I signed up for the HealthMonth game. I am not yet sure how to play the game - but I will check on it each day. I think I already said in my comment (but since I can't remember then maybe you all won't remember either) that I am doing three rules; get at least 7 hours of sleep a night (in bed by 10:30, lights out by 11), do 30 minutes of exercise five days a week, and limit my added sugar in-take. So, I have been good about the sleep for the past two nights. I didn't exercise yesterday - but April and I took a 30 minute walk today. The added sugar one is harder... My decision was that I could have 150 calories of sugar in a successful day... but how do you figure out what percentage of food is sugar calories? According to one nutrional website 40g of "added" sugar is the acceptable amout a person can have in a day. So if I want to limit my intake, how much should that be? 20g? 10g? 35g? I don't know... A gram of sugar contains 4 calories - so 150 calories would be 37.5gt - which isn't much of a limit. But the 150 calories was totally random made up based on the fact that 4 sugar packs in a large coffee is 80 calories - and if I have two in a day that is 160 calories - and I could cut back on one of the sugar packs or more on each of them and that would be me limiting my sugar intake. Maybe I should have decided all of this before I set the rule... OR MAYBE this is what I need to make me aware of how much sugar I consume!!!

No comments: