Friday, July 18, 2008

What's your neighborhood walkability score?

I meant to post this a while back when I first found it--you enter your address and see how "walkable" your neighborhood is (not for leisure/fitness, but how many services and amenities you can walk to). When I first did it my neighborhood got a score of 71; today, for some reason it's a 69. And a lot of the information is odd (7-11 is a grocery store?) or very, very out of date--it includes stores that have been closed for years and doesn't have things that have opened up in the meantime. And they also don't consider the proximity of doctors and dentists in the score, which I think would be a bit more important than the proximity of things like music stores. I suspect if they updated the information we'd actually get a better score now since so many new places have opened in Catonsville. But overall something in the70 range seems about right.

http://walkscore.com/

2 comments:

Amy said...

Mine got a 37 out of 100 - Car Dependant. However, I am not sure where they were starting from... They said that Glyndon Elementary School was .25 miles away - and you can see it from my front door. I am pretty sure it is less than that. But there were other things that were reported as closer that I have never heard of.

Emily said...

Mine got a 51 out of 100, Somewhat Walkable. But they said Kroger was .41 miles away (it's barely a quarter of a mile) while Annie Kay's was 0.38 miles (it's decidedly further away, at more than half a mile). Not very reliable.