Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lunch inspiration

After Emily's suggestion of making PB&J on graham crackers I thought of hummus as a lunch food. I love hummus. I didn't actually HAVE a lunch for today (well, and orange and a yogurt - but no protein). So I went to Wegman's (with my $7.49 that has to last me until Thursday) and bought a quarter pound of hummus and a bag of rice chips (sesame and seaweed). I ate one of the chips and thought "Man! They must have coated these in sugar!" They were very sweet - but not offensively so, just enough to make them VERY YUMMY! Anyway - I read the ingredients and there is 0g sugars in them. They just taste sweet naturally - and they taste really good with my very garlicy hummus. So, I may make that one of my lunch options. I just need to make a vat of hummus and subdivide it into single portions for ease of packing. I also need to make up a batch of cottage cheese with salsa. I can eat that with the rice chips too - or with the blackbeans and rice chips that Katie and I both love.

Emily - you mentioned The Big Pear in a post a while back. I just noticed it today. Is that Pearisburg? That is what Pat and I used to call Pearisburg - but I can't think of a reason you would be in Pearisburg...

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Trader Joe's has a mediterranean hummus that's TOO die for. It's $3.59 and I buy TJ's mini-whole wheat pitas for a buck fifty. They also have good organic pitas with no sugars. I buy those for sandwiches sometimes, even though they're maybe only 3 inches around. I've almost eliminated bread from my diet. I don't buy it anymore and instead opt for tortillas (like sundried tomato) for my turkey sandwiches.

Emily said...

There's a Catholic church in Pearisburg that was willing to host our homeschool Vacation Bible School -- all the other parishes had their own VBS programs or there were insurance issues. It's only about 35-40 minutes from Blacksburg and less for a couple of families (one lives way on the north end of B'burg and the other lives on the outskirts of Pearisburg). So we all commuted to there for two days of last week.

Amy said...

I am still trying to keep gluten out of my diet - and sadly, there are no really good gluten free pitas. I have seen gluten free tortillas, but I don't love tortillas enough to spend the money on the the gluten free kind. The trouble is that the gluten is the best PART of bread - the part that makes it sort of chewy. No gluten free option can replicate that. I am happier with stuff that doesn't try to be bread - like crackers or chips. But bread is comfort food. OTOH Gluten free pastas ARE pretty good.

I LOVE hummus. I will have to try out the TJs one. I do love the fact that I can make a week's worth of hummus for the cost of a can of chick peas (well - and the tahini, which is expensive, but you don't need that much) but my homemade hummus - while pretty good, and better than some - isn't the same as the really good purchased stuff. I just can't get the depth of flavor that deli varieties get.