Tuesday, December 30, 2008

All cookies all the time

Well, I had a very slight weight jump this week. I think it is because I have been eating mostly Christmas cookies all the time. I will be glad to get back to a normal food routine. I have this problem with Christmas cookies. I am the only one in my house eating them - and after one or two plates for work I don't NEED anymore. Next year I will have to get far fewer in the exchange... I don't like them to go to waste - and they get stale pretty quickly - so I eat them even when I am not wanting them. Sigh. Sarah - I think I need to return some to you so your kids can eat them. I think I will freeze some this year too so I can eat them when I AM in the mood for them. I think the prilosec hasn't been helping either. Since I am not getting reflux from eating junk there is far less stopping me from HAVING meals composed entirely of cookies.

I have done a little bit of exercise in the last week or two. Well. Not really. I actually only did one day of water ballet and that was on Sunday morning. That was it. I did squat on my new yoga wedge twice... but that isn't really exercise. I PLAN to go to water ballet tomorrow morning too (or maybe even tonight if I leave work early...) but I often PLAN on going, but then sleep through it, or work through it - or something.

I am getting more concerned about Celiac disease. More and more the decriptions sound EXACTLY like what I have (again, except the weight GAIN instead of loss). I didn't mind the challenge of doing gluten free when it was an optional thing - and MY choice - but going gluten free COMPLETELY, and because I HAVE to scares the willies out of me. I can't even imagine not having most of the foods I love EVER again for the rest of my life. I mean, it isn't like Claire not having peanuts -because she NEVER had peanuts and lots of people don't like peanuts anyway. NEVER having bread again. Nuh-uh. I really don't love the idea.

However, YOU all better be hoping against the Celiac thing too - because they say that it is genetic - and having one family member diagnosed with it increases first and second degree family members likelyhood of having it from 1 in 133 to 1 in 22. Hee hee. We can all be gluten free together! And Sarah - even if you DON'T have symptoms, you need to be tested for it. The result of having Celiac leads to other medical complications up to and including cancer. But maybe I don't have it and we can all go back to being 1 in 133. Oh - but Katie and Emily - Celiac alerts often come in the form of anemia and mild lactose intolerance.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I've never had the lactose intolerance -- I've always done really well with milk and milk products. I've had anemia all of my adult life, though, so I wouldn't be averse to testing for Celiac just to make sure. Mary tested negative as a toddler but she has the lactose issue. Her iron seems to be OK so far. I need a full-fledged regular doctor physical -- I haven't had anything but my gyn exams in years.

Amy said...

Well - like I think I said, it is a slow developing disorder. The intolerence to gluten shows wear slowly over time. They say that kids are more likely to show digestive issues - and adults more likely to show other symptoms (like anemia). They also say that Celiac can develop after a shock to the system (i.e. child birth, illness, etc.). I CAN pinpoint my adult issues to about the same point in time (within a year or two): Paul and I breaking up when I was 27 and I didn't eat for 4-6 weeks. I lost a TON of weight and it is the LAST time I lost weight, and the time I got bronchitis that lasted all winter and I took antibiotics for a month and I was VERY sick for two weeks. That was the time when Mom told me that people used to DIE from infections and to get it treated. I really did think I was about to die. I don't think I have ever been that sick before or since.