Thursday, April 17, 2008

The week in review - sort of

I can't remember if I weighed myself on Tuesday or not. I am sure I did. I don't remember what it said. I couldn't have been good if I blocked it out. Or - maybe it was just the same old same old and so I just don't remember. Today I was 233.8. That did make an impression on me because I don't think I have seen THAT particular number lately. It is generally 231, 232 or 234 something. So I will go with 233.8 as my official weight this week. Which I think puts me on the up side. Right?

Serves me right I suppose. I haven't been to the gym in a week. I HAVE, however, developed this habit of going to bed at 10 or 10:30. I think I have been needing the sleep. I don't know why - but I can't seem to keep my eyes open past that these days.


I met with Rebecca again yesterday. She didn't know about my thyroid nodule. I don't know how I missed telling her about it. She said that was significant, especially since the score on my thyroid "test" came back as the worst. She told me to increase my kelp since that supports my thyroid. The meeting I had with her yesterday was particularly good. I was feeling more positive about myself than I had for the last one. I think this is because I was well rested and that it is FINALLY spring! She has given me an assignment to do - but since it seems to draw attendtion to me (Pay attention to MEeeeee!) it makes me uncomfortable - and so I am not ready to do it yet. I will post that tomorrow. Speaking of uncomfortable - she also told me she wanting me to consider starting Bikram Yoga. She was the second person who told me recently that this particular form of yoga changed their life and they thought I would respond well to it. If you don't know it is also called Hot Yoga. It is a 90 minute session that is conducted in a 95-100 degree room. The advantage of it is that the heat give your muscles flexibility that you woudln't normally have. The sweat is cleansing too. Ironically one of the (very few) Bikram yoga studios in Maryland is right at the Yorktowne shopping center. So - I think this may be a sign that I have to at least try it. I am going to start doing yoga in my living room for the next week or so and then sign up for the introductory week after that. It is a challenge - but it is easier than rowing across the ocean in a rowboat.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Amy,
I had a friend try the Bikram Yoga and she hated it. She got the same schpiel about how it changed their lives but she said, to her, it was just being stuck in a massively hot room with many other sweaty bodies. I think she found the "it changed my life" attitude a bit over the top. Now I'm not saying don't try it because I think any attempt at a healthier lifestyle should be encouraged.

Amy said...

I am sure everyone has different experiences with all types of exercise. I like Yoga - and I don't mind heat - so I am not completely turned off by it. The "schpiel" I have received has been directly from my friends who have done it themselves. I loved doing the boxing at the gym - which was basically the same thing - 25 people in a fairly small, closed room hitting punching bags for an hour - and I used to come out of that pumped. I am less deterred by the hot sweaty bodies than I am by the yoga poses themselves.