Friday, April 04, 2008

Shoes

When I was in high school my favorite pair of shoes was my Roman Sandals. I can't believe they are back!!! I may have to get a pair.

I am still totally addicted to the story of Sam Williams. According to the story on the Ellen show, he had never rowed on the ocean before. Man!! What is my attraction to these near death hobbies??? I was all into the virtual climbing of Mount Everest last year. Now I love the idea of rowing across the ocean in a row boat. Sam said that he did a lot of training at the gym. So this morning I started thinking that if you started rowing on the machine in the gym with one minute - and add another minute every day by the end of the year you would be able to row just over 6 hours in a "sitting." I wonder if that is like picking up the calf everyday - eventually you cap out - or it becomes a cow. Of course - I cap out at 2 minutes. I USED to be able to row on the machine in the gym 15 minutes - and boy were my shoulders and abs great then. But - somehow in the last 10 years I lost the ability. Maybe I will try one minute tomorrow. Maybe I will try to do it slower... I could probably build up stamina again if I wasn't trying to rush to finish the 2 minutes. The 2 minutes is just as long no matter how fast I go. I wonder why I can't figure that out at the gym. Going faster doesn't get me to the end of the treadmill any sooner... Sam said that ocean rowing is less intense than the gym. I would think you would have more motivation too... Just exactly how DO you train to do an ocean row? I mean - it isn't like there are little oceans around to practice on.

No comments: