Friday, April 18, 2008

Soda pop dreams

So I gave up soda this year. Diet Coke was my thing. Morning, noon and night I could drink it like water. I was a lifelong soda drinker. Now, I only drink water (besides wine and beer of course).

What's funny is that I've had several dreams lately in which I drink soda and the get really upset with myself for giving in to my former habit. Then I wake up and all is good in the world and soda has not invaded my psyche in real life. Honestly, I don't miss it and don't even consider buying it at the store or ordering it at a restaurant.

On another note, I don't know if any of you watch The Biggest Loser. It was usually the one night a week I am definitely home so I watch it instead of American Idol. They finale was Tuesday and I was impressed that nearly all the contestants lost massive amounts of weight.
I also was happy to see a woman win and how much weight she lost. Sure some of her workouts were insane and she all she had was time when she was "at the ranch." But she really changed her outlook on life during the process. I thought it was funny that the guys on the show who lost the most weight became blubbering cry babies as they lost pounds. It always fascinating to see those guys go from 400 pounds to 175 in a matter of few months.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So they really lose that much weight in that amount of time? Geez, that can't be healthy!

Do they ever follow up with these people to see how they do at keeping the weight off?

I always wonder if shows like that are good or bad for regular people who want to lose weight. On the one hand, it's probably motivating to watch people lose so much weight and have such visible results, but I'd probably watch and say "well, yeah, I'd lose weight too if that's all I had to do!"

Vicki said...

Yes, most keep the bulk of it off. The contestants are monitored by doctors and they have personal trainers. Some weeks they lose 2 pounds and others 15 pounds. Most of the people come into the show with horrible eating habits. They eat fast food at every meal, consuming several thousand calories each time. Then you start the program and all you get is fruit, veggies, good protein, lots of water and TONS of exercise. You've got to lose.
The contestants get whittled down to three finalists and one of those wins $250K. Then there's a contest for those who were booted off the show. The person who loses the highest percentage of weight wins $100K. Then there's a contest for those who watch the show at home. I think they win $25,000 or something like that.
This time around I think the show did a better job of focusing on the food and exercise instead of the "reality" show crap of who doesn't like who or whatever.
The big mystery to me is how they manage to get time off from their jobs to go away for what could be 3-4 months.

Emily said...

I've been searching online to find follow-up information on the contestants. One of the big winners (might have been first season?) gained virtually all of the weight back. Almost everyone else has gained some back, though most are struggling to keep it off and aren't in bad shape yet. I've been reading about winners who switched to all-liquid diets in the last few days, starved themselves for the last 24 hours, and used rubber suits and saunas and such just to get rid of the water for the final weigh-in -- they don't cover that on the show! It's just gross.

Vicki -- on the soda subject -- I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, and it's become such a weird point for me that I have several times had dreams that I'd smoked one and blown my 36-year-long record! It's ridiculous how it upsets me in my dreams. And it's not like this is EVER an issue in my daily life -- I can't even stand to be around the things.