Tuesday, April 15, 2008

142.4

Yeah, well, that's a change for me too, but not in the right direction! And I wish I could say I had a good workout yesterday. It was a short workout--I only did the elliptical and nothing else, and that's my cop-out machine for days when I'm tired. I've been fighting a cold since late last week and every day I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

I had a really active weekend, though (hmmm, maybe that accounts for the tiredness more than the cold)--lots of yardwork both days, ice skating with Claire on Saturday, and an hour and a half at baseball with both kids on Sunday. The baseball is a hoot--it's adapted baseball for kids with special needs and the way it works is everyone plays all the time. So when your team is in the field, all 15 (or whatever) of you are in the field, each with a parent to help out. When you're at back, all 15 of you get a turn, and all 15 hit the ball, eventually, and all 15 get to run the bases and make it home. An inning takes a LONG time. Fortunately we only played one inning on Sunday, and by next week the teams will be broken down into two or three smaller teams.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's not just special needs baseball -- that's six-and-under baseball, too! They're not one-on-one in the field but they have as many coaches out there as they can coerce, and the coach said if every parent wants to be out there he'd welcome the help! And every kid bats, every inning. So they only play three innings.

Mary's team also has extra coaches in the field, but they play to three outs each inning -- which means a good portion of the team bats every time. And it's coach pitch, so they get to stay at bat for at least five or six strikes, until the coach has had enough. They don't start playing by the rules until age 9, and even then there's no sliding or base stealing or infield fly rule or anything else complicated.