Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The scale is on the fritz

Seriously.  It's not just me not wanting to post my weight, though I wouldn't love doing so.  On Sunday I noticed that the battery symbol was on, so I flipped the scale over and checked the battery type (and of course it's not just AA or something simple that they have at the grocery store; I'm going to have to hunt for these).  The next morning Daniel and I both found a 4 pound weight gain -- and he had been running on Sunday and had barely eaten that day, so the gain seemed rather improbable.  A 4-pound jump would be improbable any day.  I don't know if it got re-calibrated after I checked the batteries or what, but I can't compare this week's weight to last.

Nevertheless, the new number has been scary so I've been watching my intake a little better.  I got out for a walk one night last week but haven't been out since; the weather hasn't been fully cooperative except on that one Sunday, but I didn't want to rush out when Daniel got back and I never got around to it otherwise.  I'm making excuses, I know.  I did at least walk all over town yesterday and to a pretty good extent today as well.  But no further than a 3-year-old can walk, so it's not that much.

I realized this week that when Alexander jogged a mile in the St. Mary's fun run (jogged the whole mile without breaking stride -- he just kept going) he was just three and a half -- younger than Cecilia by a good four months.  She whines if she has to walk two blocks.  So I'm making her do a whole lot more of her own walking right now.  She's slowly getting used to it.  But this takes away one component of my exercise:  I was building upper body strength and increasing cardio benefit by carrying her a lot, at least whenever I could find non-icy sidewalks!  When the weather clears I'm going to dig a bike out of the storage room here and see if it's rideable.  The kids around town are all on bikes now (there were about three days between skis and bikes) so I'm itching to go for a ride.  So is Mary!  I've promised we'll look for something to use in Oslo.

No comments: