Thursday, April 16, 2009

I haven't posted for the past couple of weeks.

I've just been lazy. And mortified that my weight is going back up. I was 142.2 last Tuesday, and 143.6 this Tuesday. Ick.

My first triathlon is this Sunday and I'm taking the idea of "tapering" to the extreme--last week I got those great workouts at the fitness center overnight, but the rest of the week only included one run, one (longish) bike ride and one swim. The whole week off, and that's all I did. And this week is worse--I'm having one of those weeks at work that just don't include breaks. Two days of training, and then today I have to leave at 3:15 for scouts. Tomorrow I'll be in a half day training session starting at noon. I was hoping to get in a few light "maintenance" type workouts this week, but now I'm wondering if I'll get any kind of workout at all! Thank goodness this is a short triathlon.

The real reason I'm posting today is because I found this website that lets you put out a contract on yourself--you commit to a goal (of any sort--they have some standard ones like "stop smoking" and "lose weight" but you can also set a custom goal like "clean out my basement" or "do my taxes in February for a change."), enlist someone to be a referee (who will verify the accuracy of your reports), and set yourself up with supporters/cheerleaders, and then best of all, set up a financial disincentive for failing to meet your goal. You can set it up so that if you fail, a certain amount of money goes to a charity (or better--an anti-charity, one you would never in a million years want your money to go to!) or a friend/foe.

I wonder if I'd get back down to 135 pounds if I knew the George Bush Presidential Library would get $50 if I failed? I think I'll talk to Brian about this tonight--he might push me to exercise more if he knew that was the result of me failing too.

No comments: