Monday, April 27, 2009

Craziest charity ride idea ever

Last night I signed up for another charity ride. I'm not sure I can do the distance, but I had to sign up because it's such an insane idea. It's called the 100 Miles of Nowhere and is a fundraiser for the Livestrong Foundation. This fundraiser is the brainchild of a guy who writes a blog called fatcyclist (who is not fat anymore, thanks to the cycling part) and who is madly raising money for the Livestrong Foundation for cancer research, largely because his wife has terminal cancer.

He's a fabulous, funny writer and I love reading his blog (crazy stunts are pretty much par for the course with him) so when he posted this one, I decided to sign up even though I'm not entirely sure I can ride 100 miles. But the idea behind it is that on May 23, you get on your bike and you go nowhere for 100 miles. Ideally you should do this on rollers or a trainer at home, but you can also do a short outside course. You can also use an exercycle. And you can also cheat and only do 25 or 50 miles, because no one is counting. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do--if I can find my old trainer in the basement I'll use that and just guess the distance, but I might resort to the exercycle in the gym at work (which would really be torture--those are uncomfortable and I'd have no control over what I watched on t.v.) or even to going in circles at the playground (I'd get dizzy, though, so maybe just 10 miles of that).

Every person who enters gets the ubiquitous charity ride t-shirt, plus a bunch of other free stuff (better than most it seems), but best of all you are absolutely guaranteed to win your age/gender/region/category group. Since this will be the only time in my life I can hope to actually WIN an event, I couldn't NOT sign up, right?

More info on the event here: http://www.fatcyclist.com/2009/04/23/register-now-for-the-100-miles-of-nowhere/

2 comments:

Emily said...

If I weren't going to be on a boat at the time, I would SO be doing this one with you! There is a bike in the storage closet here which I'm sure I could use. Maybe I should just do it a week early and ride the ring road around Tromsø seven or eight times. I bet I'd be the only one riding at night in the daylight!

Sarah said...

I wonder if there will be an exercycle on the boat? That would really be 100 miles of nowhere!