Saturday, April 25, 2009

1200 calories later

I'm just back from the Kennedy Krieger autism ride. I had so much fun--I want everyone to do this with me next year! The weather couldn't have been any more perfect (not something we can count on in April, and today is warm even by May standards). The route was gorgeous--out of Oregon Ridge and through the valley, then up to Boring (really!) through little country roads that reminded me of England, then back down to the valley on Byerly and Dover, across Butler Road, then down Cuba Road back to Oregon Ridge. The cue sheet said it was a little over 27 miles, but my computer told me it was a mile less than that (not sure which one is more accurate). I did the ride in just under 2 hours. When I got back to the start, I met up with a guy riding another Miyata touring bike, so we geeked out about them for a bit. You don't see many people on touring bikes in general, and when you do they are never Miyatas. I also had a great spinach salad at the end of the ride, courtesy of Wegmans (one of the sponsors of the event). Who knew spinach salad could be a good recovery food?

I think my commute must be the best bike training in the world. The hills I deal with on my commute are so far way worse than anything I meet on other cycling routes, so I never seem to have much problem getting up other people's idea of a hill. Today's worst hill was VERY steep at the end, but the distance wasn't far so I didn't have to get off and walk like I saw several others doing. I'm also getting better about getting out of the saddle and standing up to climb short hills--not something I ever used to be able to do.

It was a good workout week in general. I took Monday as a rest day, but I alternated running and swimming the next four days, then of course today's ride. I'm also back to doing crunches/planks/push ups in the evening. I always tell myself I'm going to do these and then I never do. I get good for about a week, and then I stop again. The trick this time will be to NOT stop when I get lazy.

1 comment:

Emily said...

The ride sounds awesome! Did I tell you Mary read about it on the website and said she wants to do the ride next year, too? So (assuming I get my bike hauled over, and that it doesn't conflict with other events) you can count us in!