Tuesday, February 03, 2009

This is my 2000th post

Or - maybe not MY 2000th post - but THE 2000th post. That is a lot...

Anyway - what if my butt is too big? I was just about to book my flight to Norway when I happened to notice a chart of the different levels of "comfort" on the SAS airplanes. So I looked at them. The Economy seats are 17" wide. So, of course I had to measure... My butt (sitting down) is bigger than 17" wide. The Economy PLUS size is 18". I am pretty sure mine is bigger than that. In fact, I think even business class is only 20" wide and that is the biggest on their planes. Am I REALLY fat enough that I have to book 2 seats? Oh - BTW, two economy seats is considerably cheaper than one busniess class seat. AND it would take about 10 economy seats to reach the cost of first class... So WHO in their right minds would EVER book first class. Just book a whole plane all to yourself. So how exactly do you go about booking 2 seats? It is only one traveller. Would I get a discount on the second? OTOH, what if I get stuck in my seat. I do remember the last time I flew (two years and about 15 pounds ago) I came off the plane saying that I almost didn't fit. I am bigger now - and the seats are probably smaller. I KNOW I am fat - but seriously, out of the five women on my team there are two people with wider butts than me. Am I REALLY that extremely above average? And what do other people do. I don't normally see people with two seats on planes, unless they are ENORMOUS - I mean bigger than me by about 100 pounds. What do I do?

BTW - my weight this week was down THREE POUNDS from last week. I wonder if either was a fluke?

I took a 20 minute (one mile) walk today - before lunch... around 11:30.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Yay for the walk!

Sarah said...

Interesting question about how you book two seats on a flight. You hear about people doing it all the time (so-and-so and his priceless violin, for example) but in this day and age of must-show-i.d. to get a ticket, how do you claim that second seat? Buying the ticket would be easy. Checking in for that ticket and using it would be more difficult.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll be uncomfortable (as it is for nearly everyone) but not impossible. I don't think many people have pelvic bones that are wider than 17 inches, and that's what really matters. Everything else is squishy and can be wedged in. Just make sure to get an aisle seat so you aren't jammed up against the side of the plane and to make it easier to get up and walk. It also gives the illusion of having more leg room. That's what really bothers me--the ridiculously tiny space you have to fit your legs into!