Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another boring Tuesday post

It's Tuesday, so I'm posting. 144 this morning. I exercised not at all after Tuesday until Sunday, when I went for a 23.66-mile bike ride. It was actually a really good ride -- the slopes never got worse than 4% (and when I hit that, I knew, but it was only a short uphill, relatively speaking, so I managed to stay on the bike) and the weather was mostly good (it was threatening rain, but I never felt more than two drops). But the road I chose for my turnaround (long ride out, long ride by a different route back) to allow me the gentle uphill return instead of the knock-me-flat return turned out to be gravel. It would have been perfect on the right sort of bike -- very secluded (and I won't say I didn't get the Deliverance theme in my head! I need to find a riding partner) and shady, all along a dry creek bed, but I couldn't go faster than about 8-10 mph the whole way, and that was only when I caught some less-graveled bits. I couldn't load a map on my phone from where I was so I couldn't find an alternate route when I realized it was gravel, and looking at the map after the fact I'm not sure there really IS an alternate non-gravel route anyway. So I'm not sure what to do about that.

Remarkably, as of yesterday my tired legs were already recovered and painless (not so much my sit bones, though!) so I went to the gym for 45 minutes on the elliptical. Today I have another gym appointment, and then (again) nothing the rest of the week. Daniel is on a no-excuses exercise plan right now (he won't allow himself a drink at night unless he has worked out) and has only missed one day in two weeks (Tuesdays are awful for him) so I'm going to try to keep up with him on that. I wish I could get out on bike rides around town on weekdays -- up and down the Huckleberry would be perfect for a mid-week ride! But I don't like to get five or six miles from home when the kids are unsupervised and there's no one to rescue me from bike troubles. So I'm going to have to get back to what I did during the late spring and early fall, and do my school day exercise on busy days as runs in a loop close to the house. Dull. But effective.

No comments: