Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Um, yeah, what she said

Except for the swimming part, the leg injury part, and the weight part, I could have posted what Emily did. My weight this week was precisely the same as last week (144.2) which shocked me a bit since I haven't even really been thinking about my diet and I haven't exercised since a week ago Monday when I went for a run. On Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday my fairly light work week turned into a really heavy work week (went from one federal grant due this week to three) so I just haven't been taking lunch breaks at all, and on the couple of occasions that I did take a break, it was to run errands I couldn't do at other times (scout shop only open 10 - 2, Halloween costume shopping with work people). Then I spent the weekend wedding dress shopping and making Halloween costumes.

Speaking of wedding dresses, I was wondering about the mirrors in that place that made me look much skinnier (but not fun-house skinny) than I am in real life. Turns out there is such a thing as a "skinny mirror" that they use in high end clothing shops (and some lower end ones too)--it's a way of hanging the mirror so it is slightly tilted so you appear taller and thinner than you really are. Some people hate them since you buy clothes based on how you look in the mirror then get home and don't look nearly so good. Some people love them and go out of their way to hang their mirrors at home the same way. It was a pretty obvious ploy--Katie pointed out in one of the photos Amy took that showed both her in the dress and her reflection that her mirror image really DID look thinner than she was--and I can't see that it would be really helpful in a bridal shop--you put on a big white lacy sparkly dress and you're going to look really good. You don't need a doctored mirror for that. But I can see why department stores might install them to encourage impulse purchases.

No comments: