Friday, October 22, 2010

Am I gonna regret this? Maybe.

During the past day or two -- prompted by Sarah's post about doing a century ride -- I started thinking about what I needed to do fitnesswise to drop more weight and get into better shape.

Then it hit me during Thursday's walk -- I need to start running again. I've been in denial about it and have mostly been wanting to enjoy my daily walks but I realized yesterday that I need to accelerate the pace of my weight loss and conditioning.

This epiphany led me to think crazy, crazy thoughts -- like maybe I can train like crazy and run the Atlanta half marathon on Thanksgiving Day? No, that's just stupid. But they do have a 5K and that would get my fat butt out on Turkey Day for some exercise. Hmmm ...

Then I found a triathlon that includes kayaking, running and biking -- 17 miles total -- that takes place in April. I immediately decided to recruit Sarah and vowed to teach her how to paddle a kayak straight -- even if it's not necessary.

Sarah then mentioned the Celtic Solstice race in December -- a 5-miler. Cool shirt. Not too long. Sounds good.

About 10 years ago I ran the Army 10-miler through DC. I ran the entire thing and was plenty happy about that. I had considered, at the time, training for a half marathon and ended up running shorter races.

Well, Disneyworld has a relatively new -- 3 years old -- Princess Half Marathon at the end of February. It's all girls and is in late February when I know I'll be fed up with winter weather and darkness.

WDW's other marathon and half marathon is in early January and I just wasn't sure if I'd be ready by then. This gives me four months and the promise of a trip to warmer climes in late winter. I may even turn it into a spring training trip.

So ... I think I'm going to train for it. Anyone want to go to Florida in the dead of winter? Let me know.

Overall my goal is to participate in one event a month. With the North Central bike ride in November and possibly the Atlanta 5K and Celtic Solstice in December that's two months down.

Now it's time to do the work for all these plans I'm making ... so come jump on the crazy train with me. Woohoo!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I just registered for the Celtic Solstice race (which last year was a slog through the snow--it happened the morning after you and Brian made beer) and I'm up for the triathlon in WV, in spite of my misgivings about kayaking. When can we set up a lesson? And I figure even if I don't know how to get in and out of a boat or paddle in a straight line, somehow or other I'll make it to the finish line, and that's all that counts, right?

Did I tell you (as in "you all" and not just you (singular)) that in one of my bargaining-with-God moments when Connor was being tested for lymphoma, I promised to do another triathlon if Connor didn't have cancer? This was when I was in training and recovery hell and really didn't ever want to do another triathlon again, and in my defense, we really thought he had cancer! But anyway, I have to do a triathlon again, so one that doesn't involve swimming sounds like a great plan to me.

Sarah said...

Oh, and P.S. What the hell is wrong with us anyway? Why is it that when someone does something that they report was horrible and painful and awful our reaction is "great! I want to try that!" It's not normal. After Emily's race report, none of us should ever want to run again. Did I mention the woman with the bloody socks?

Vicki said...

I'ma gonna register for the Solstice and we'll get you learned up on the kayak. A pool lesson would make the most sense. I can borrow a kayak but am not sure about brining it into a facility. I can ask around down here. We'd need a lane or a deep end area to practice.

Sarah said...

I can check with the pool at work, either to see if we could bring a kayak during the open swim time (when it's set up with lanes, but is often busy and people have to share lanes) or to see if it would be possible to access the pool during another time (less likely--they'd have to pay for lifeguards during that time).

Vicki said...

Sent you a msg about kayking ...