Friday, March 27, 2009

Toddling along

So all is pretty good on my front -- I don't have a child who doesn't want to sleep (sorry Sarah) -- but work has cut into the frequency of my workouts. Still ... no excuses.

I started phase two of my workout routine and -- OUCH -- big OUCH. I could do almost all the reps but, man, I felt it. But I understand the method of trainer's madness. Each day builds on the other, working interlocking muscle groups. So, technically, the workouts should help with any soreness and stiffness. My aim is to do the workouts back-to-back to find that out. But this week it just didn't work that way.

So today I decided that I will do a short routine in the morning and a bigger workout after work.

I was sent two cool workouts -- one to work toward 100 push-ups in a row and another to work toward 200 sit-ups in a row.

The sites are hundredpushups.com and www.twohundredsitups.com.

The have nice printable workouts and you only have to do them three times a week. This morning my workout literally took five minutes.

I think the other lesson I've learned recently -- especially when I look at the exercises laid out in the book I follow -- is I've got to give them a try. I have surprised myself lately with what I can do. So my goal is to really push myself. I actually went for a run last weekend. It has been a long time because it's so high impact and my knees suck. But it was fine and I was able to run a couple of miles comfortably and without any ill effects on my knees.

So right now I'm just hoping for some warmer weather so I can spend my weekends outdoors and for more daylight so I can do a run or bike ride if I can get home before sunset.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Cool! I like those workouts. I haven't done any strength training since we moved (unless you count carrying Cecilia around all over town -- I do) but before then my push-ups weren't really going anywhere. I got up to a max of 20 in a set but never more than 50 or 55 in a day, and it would be fun to aim for more. And I REALLY need to develop an abs workout. Thanks for posting these!

Emily said...

OK, I did the initial test on both. I had no problem getting to 200 crunches, which are what the site describes -- I normally do 100 in a workout, plus some oblique crunches if I'm feeling unbalanced, so it was no stretch to get to 200. I was just bored. 200 true sit-ups would be a real challenge, but those are bad for the spine. I should be trying for 200 vertical knee raises, because those REALLY work my abs and I can only do about 50 on a good day, but I don't have the setup for that here and I can't find furniture that will do the trick for me.

Push-ups were a different matter. I could do 21 before my arms gave out. That means I get to start on week 3, but I have a long way to go to 100!