Wednesday, March 11, 2009

700+400+700

That's my calories burned today (give or take) with the commute in, swimming at lunch, and the commute home (assuming I don't break my leg or something between now and 5:00). That adds up to the total calories I burned through exercise all last week! But isn't it colossally unfair that exercising like this doesn't make you lose five pounds in one day? It really should work that way. But then, I had second breakfast when I got to work--I had eaten a bowl of oatmeal at home, but around 10:00 I realized that I wasn't going to make it through a swim workout if I didn't have something more substantial than almonds, so I had another bowl of oatmeal at that point. Hard to lose five pounds eating that way.

Did I mention that I signed up for another triathlon? This will be my first first triathlon and the Iron Girl will be my second first triathlon. This one doesn't really count--they're calling it a "super sprint"--only 250 meters of swimming (in a pool, no less), 9.3 miles biking and 2.5 miles running. And it's a fundraiser for Autism Speaks, so I couldn't not do it, right? But I only have about a month to get ready, which is why I want to do a few of these days where I push myself in a couple of forms of exercise instead of spreading it all out through the week. Sara, Connor's kindergarten teacher, is signing up to do it with me, so I'll have the support/presence of someone who has done a triathlon before. I think this'll be good practice for the Iron Girl.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wish I could join you in the mini-triathlon -- that sounds like something I could actually DO!

Vicki said...

You should eat something before a workout, especially something like swimming. Otherwise your body will try to burn muscle instead of fat. You've got to drive the car with a full tank. And oatmeal, as long as it's not the horribly loaded with sugar (and delicious) kind then you're fine. Having a snack that gives you a little complex carb, protein and fat is good but you should try to include those at every meal.

I'm impressed with your workout habits. Work has been insane for me lately but I'm trying my damndest to get back on track. My body is much happier when I exercise.