Friday, November 14, 2008

My week, challenges, etc.

Emily, I've got you beat--on Thursday morning I was 147.something (I stopped at the seven and didn't look at the number after that!). I had been 144.6 the day before, so I don't know what's up with the 147, and today I was down to 146.2 so maybe the 144.6 was unusually low and the 146.2 is more or less accurate with the 147 being a spike. Who knows?

I'm still keeping up with exercise. I went for a longish bike ride on Sunday (17 miles), ran on Monday and Tuesday and yesterday, and today I'm scheduled to go to swimming (Claire got angry when she saw my suit and towel sitting out this morning--I think she was pissed to find out I've been swimming regularly without her!). I'm trying to make the running more interesting/challenging by incorporating a couple of training ideas I read about this week. One is training for speed, which is pretty much like interval workouts but with a higher top interval and lower steady pace. I did that while walking Davey on Tuesday and he thought it was great (although when I'd stop the sprinting he'd stop and sniff around, figuring I must be stopping for an interesting reason like maybe a rabbit in the bushes or a piece of chicken on the sidewalk). The other is a tempo workout that's supposed to increase your lactate threshold. I don't have the time for that full workout (it's supposed to be 8 miles total and starts by saying "run an easy three miles." An easy three miles? What planet are these people on?) so I cut it in half yesterday, jogging at a low speed (4.9) for a mile to start and a mile to cool down, with two miles in between at a slightly higher than usual speed (6.2). The idea is to condition your body to handle higher speeds for longer distances. Since it would take me nearly an hour and a half to do the full eight miles (plus, I might die) I don't see doing the full workout until maybe this summer when I could get out in the early morning comfortably.

So does that count as doing something new? I hope so, because I don't think I could handle another new thing--Girl Scouts and triathlon training is enough new for me right now!

Vitamins and Daily Plate--I don't take vitamins and never have regularly except during pregnancy, so you all are on your own with that one. I'll try to start logging my food on the Daily Plate, but it was getting so slow to access it from home that the last few times I've tried, I've just given up. I don't mind tracking my food when it means five minutes online each evening, but it was taking 15 or 20 minutes and I don't have the time or patience for that! Has anyone else been having that problem? I haven't tried it for months now, though, so maybe it's not a problem anymore.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow, I applaud your hard work, Sarah. Maybe you're just building so much muscle it's reflected in your weight?

So I sent you an email about a possible Trinitron gathering with Deb and Maureen. I hope I sent it to the correct address.

Talk to you soon.

Sarah said...

Hah, I wish! I know I'm building muscle in my legs, but not that much. And the blobbiness around my stomach is all new.