Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Jumping on the bandwagon

So I see everyone else posted so I may has well join in the fun ... it has been a busy few weeks at work and last week, when Congress was out of session, I was just too tired. Blah blah

For awhile I was just plain stagnant. I hadn't been getting in enough exercise but I was eating consistently well. I decided recently to cut out my morning snack so I'm eating lunch at a normal time thus not eating dinner at 10 p.m. I'm not sure if that is what has helped but I've noticed a recent difference.

But I've also picked up my exercise a bit. I've been trying to bike on the weekends. What's funny is I always bike for just plain exercise ... I'll go from mile marker 10 to 20 and return, knowing I've done 20 miles. But lately I've been trying to bike for pure transport. I've gone to the farmers market and to meet friends for lunch.

My food has been good. I've been buying all my greens from the farmers market along with some other seasonal veggies. I planted seven pots on my deck -- two jalapeno plants and the rest a variety of tomatoes. They are growing like crazy and I can't wait for some of my own veggies.

I've also been going to an organic butcher for my meat (chicken) but I'd like to find someplace similar that's slightly cheaper. There are a growing number of options. I like that.

A friend of mine is switching to a vegan diet and making me give my eating even greater scrutiny. I don't eat much cheese but I do like a goat cheese on my salad and I rarely buy milk. I do LOVE yogurt though so I'm hopeless for veganism. But I do continue to refine my diet. If I can buy from the farmers market without breaking the bank I'll do it.

A perfect example of how difficult it can be to get your hands on good food was evidenced tonight in my local Giant. I never go in there unless I need batteries or something. But I was out of my fave organic salad dressing and just stopped in to see what they had. NOTHING. Event he wildly expensive organic stuff was loaded with sodium, sugar and high fructose corn syrup. In fact, several "healthy brands" listed HFCS first on their list of ingredients. Shocking.

I did buy some cool beans (ha) from Rancho Gordo in Cali. They are heirloom beans and are just amazing. You haven't had a black bean until you've tried theirs.

Anyway, I'm trimming again and am so happy with my diet and shopping at the markets. It's a great time. Keep up the good work everyone!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I know! Isn't is shocking about the so called healthy foods!? There is no definition on what make something "organic" and so people are slapping it one packages left and right just to be trendy. You absolutely have to read labels - and then research what you have read!