Wednesday, June 03, 2009

200 squats

Have you all noticed the proliferation of those plans designed to get you to do a ridiculous number of one type of exercise in a day? 300 sit ups, 100 push ups. That kind of thing. I ran into one this weekend designed to get you to 200 squats a day. And figuring any increase in strength in my lower body is probably a good thing, I decided to try the initial test. That test told me I was in excellent shape and should start with week three of the plan (I stopped at 55 squats. I wasn't really feeling it, but excellent for my age is only more than 31 squats, so there was no point in continuing). But good golly, I may not have felt it then but I was sure feeling it the next day! Specifically my inner thighs--that muscle that is so hard to target and really isn't used much for anything outside of childbirth. And squats, as it turns out. Which isn't much different than childbirth, I suppose, except it doesn't take as long and you don't get a baby out of it. All good things.

So I decided to give this plan a try. I'm only on day two today. I did 140 squats on Monday and 150 today. By the last set my legs feel pretty trashed, but I can walk it out pretty easily, then get a day to recover before doing it again. I'll probably regret this since I was just complaining about my scary cycling thighs, but it's giving me something to do that feels like I'm accomplishing something without having to really think about it!

No comments: