Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My resolutions

I was about 1/2 a pound up today from yesterday - but still a pound lower than my upper limit of my "current" range - so I guess that counts as holding steady.

I feel like I am performing a balancing act. It has been SO LONG since my weight has been steady that I am not sure what to do about it. I am usually gaining and - very rarely - losing. I want to see how long I can go without increasing anymore. So far it has been about three months. Even through my periods. I haven't even gained the usual four pounds. I feel like I should DO something. If my weight has truly stabilized I should be able to make it turn around and start going down. Right? BUT (says my skeptical doubting Thomas mind) what if I make a change and knock myself off of my precarious precipice and suddenly start gaining again? So, I am starting slow (No suddennnnnn mooovements...).

So - my first resolution that I am trying to enact is supposedly an easy one - but one that so far has proven more difficult than eating breakfast in the mornings. I am going to attempt to get enough sleep. ALL of the diet books, articles, websites, etc. say that the WORSE thing you can do when trying to lose weight is to not get enough sleep. I haven't gotten enough sleep in - well - forever, I think. Since, in my case, it is primarily self induced (no kids to wake me up during the night and all...) I should be able to break this habit. It is basic math. I get up at 6:15 every work day, therefore I should go to bed by 10:15 each night. Yeah. Right. I go to bed at 12:15 - except on the days when I go to bed at 1:15am. So, last night was the first night under my new plan. What I did was go upstairs and get ready for bed at 10pm. Then I read for a little while, and ended up turning off the lights at about 10:45-ish. I woke up just once during the night (at 1:47am - which was just weird because I had been in bed for a long time by then...) and I fell right back to sleep. I woke up again right on schedule about 20 minutes before my alarm was to go off. Perfect! Now, I just need to see if I can do that consistantly. I know 10:45 was about 1/2 an hour later than I should have gone to bed - but it was almost 2 hours earlier than normal!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's one of my dreams--to consistently get enough sleep! I really make an effort to go to bed at 11, but it always seems that when I do, that's when Connor decides to get up at 3 a.m. Like the night before last (and then of course he napped in the afternoon and was up until 3 a.m. again, but I made Brian stay up with him!).

If you're able to fall asleep at 10:45 and then wake up naturally before your alarm goes off, I wouldn't worry too much about adding a half hour to your sleep--"enough" sleep varies from person to person, and as long as you're healthy and not tired during the day on 7 hours of sleep (and not gaining weight for no reason, obviously), then that's the right amount of sleep for you.