Tuesday, August 26, 2008

142.5

Remarkably, that was also my weight yesterday morning after a week in Alabama.  While I was there I ate indiscriminately and spent 24 hours straight at a place called Bridge Street where you go and eat, and sleep, and watch movies, and shop, and basically just spend money in every way possible.  (No, we did not go for a gondola ride -- having bridges and water doesn't mean being on the water going under bridges is interesting.  It takes two thousand years of history for that.)  So we ate (and drank) and went to the movies (and ate and drank) and hung out in our hotel (and drank and slept and drank some more, so the champagne wouldn't go to waste) and ate and shopped and ate some more.  I don't even want to know how many calories I ingested, but it had to be bad.

We did go running on Tuesday, but my legs ached afterwards until late Thursday, and then we were busy every minute until we left.  And on the day I arrived I was freezing (they put the A/C on to 68 or 70 degrees) but for the rest of the week I was roasting hot.  It was very strange -- it was like my metabolism was on overdrive.  Now I understand why people kick the covers off in the dead of winter.  Maybe I'm starting menopause.  At any rate, despite all the calories, I somehow managed to LOSE two pounds in the place where I can usually count on GAINING between two and five -- case in point, in May I exercised there every single day and ate with some degree of moderation, and I came back with a five pound gain.

Anyway, yesterday I started my annual fall diet (this is three out of four years running, and since the last two attempts proved successful, I might as well go for it again) and I hope to meet Sarah's challenge of losing 8 to 10 pounds over the next two or so months.  I'm logging on Daily Plate again.  I went to the gym yesterday and kept my calorie intake down to just below 1200 (I didn't mean to fall short; I just still wasn't very hungry after all the travel) and today I went to the gym again and have kept my calories reasonable (but it's pizza for dinner -- that will be a test).  Tomorrow I will miss the gym (couldn't get a slot) but it will be brunswick stew for dinner, which is always a lean but filling meal.  So I've got a good start going!

1 comment:

Amy said...

You can't be starting menopause... I'M starting menopause - and I am too young for it!!!