Friday, January 16, 2009

Diet means nothing without exercise

So I've remained pretty strict on my diet since the start of the New Year but I realize (and I already knew it) that it doesn't matter an iota without exercise. I've kept my al-ki-hol consumption to a minimum and I've brought my lunch to work every day. I haven't succumbed to added snacks and I don't get home and chow dinner. I've kept mostly to salads and plain ol' boring chicken.

I was sick the first week of the year (actually took a sick day) and I've been working late every day this week. Excuses, yes. I will admit that. But all told I just haven't been able to get into an exercise groove.

And I feel as if I'm paying for it on several fronts. Exericising really helps relieve stress and makes me sleep even better than normal. Plus, I just feel so much better -- joints, muscles etc. -- when I get in a workout.

Now I figure I've got to get through the stress of the inauguration -- I'm required to go into DC, sit in my office and watch on TV with some sort of anticipation that Obama will say something about the subject matter I cover. Right.

I also have friends coming into town ... for the entire weekend and the inauguration.

But I've promised myself no more excuses and I hope to begin that change tonight.

I have some pants I bought while I was bit thinner that are kinda tight. I can wear them but it's just depressing. I just feel fat and out of shape and that's depressing, too.

It would be one thing if I weren't watching what I eat but I am. I figure at the best I'm maintaining.

Anyway, I'm just really frustrated and feel like I've only gone backward.

So here's to new days ahead that are brighter and lighter!

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is a perfect example of how easy it is to break a habit that was incredibly difficult to form. Missing ONE scheduled exercise session is like blanket permission to my body to never exercise again. So you have to start all over from scratch. OTOH, habits that are EASY to form (i.e. smoking) are impossible to break. It just isn't right.