Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Moderate Exercise

This one is interesting - but depressing...

I did a Google search for "moderate exercise." Everyone talks about how much moderate exercise you need to do - but what exactly IS moderate exercise? I mean, personally when I think of something as moderate or done in moderation, I think of it as slightly less than what you really desire - or something very, very average. So "moderate exercise" could be anything from walking to the bathroom three or four times a day to running for 1/2 an hour five days a week. It is very subjective. Personally, what I would consider "moderate" exercise is nothing that would make you too sweaty or make your face break out, and can be done in less than 15 minutes... and preferably with some sort of toy surprise at the end... like a new fun pair of socks. 8-)

3 comments:

Emily said...

That article *is* depressing, but not surprising. When I was seriously losing weight when we started, there was nothing "moderate" about my exercise -- 45+ minutes of very sweaty aerobic activity and some weight training besides -- and I was still having to cut calories, though at the time I was able to do that just by watching what I eat, not actually counting. Those magazine articles love to say "park further away from your building" and "walk up the stairs" but we've known for years about those tricks and it hasn't done us any good!

What's more, now I STILL have to exercise at that same level just to maintain, and it's not enough just to watch what I eat if I want to lose; I have to slash calories aggressively. I hate the thought that I'm going to have to sweat for an hour a day five days a week doing something completely boring, for the rest of my life. But I think I've been resigned to it for a while. (Not always consistent with it -- hence the need to aggressively slash calories to get back to where I was -- but resigned nonetheless.)

Emily said...

Maybe we need a not-so-moderate exercise challenge? Challenge ourselves to ONE day of an hour or more of exercise, or adding one to one's regular regime?

Amy said...

Sarah and I were talking about this the other day... She said the same thing, when she was losing weight it was because she was spending 45 minutes at the gym and then doing pilates at night. I spend one day a week already walking 2.5 miles and then doing 90 minutes of yoga (80 of them actually making me sweat - the last 10 minutes spent laying on the floor trying not to start snoring - the best rest I get each week!)which, ends up keeping me busy from 8:30am to 12:45pm. The yoga isn't aerobic exactly, but it is strenous (for my 238 pound carcass!) and it is heart focused. I never realized before how much what is done in yoga is for heart health. I also LOVE that I see results - not in my appearance so much, but in my ability to push myself a little bit farther.