Friday, September 05, 2008

Comment on Emily's post that was getting too long

When I was at Bead Camp I had comparatively few stomach problems however, almost instantly when I got home things started up again. Not to be crude - but the problem I have been having the most is lots of gas. LOTS of gas. And daily reflux, brought on by eating - anything. I started thinking that being more actively gluten free was probably strongly contributing to my low iron problem I have been having lately. I haven't switched back entirely but I started having regular bread in the mornings for breakfast. Today we had no eggs, so I have an extreme headache - but I think that was because of the lack of protein, not the intake of gluten - but I could be wrong.

I met with Rebecca again on Wednesday and told her I thought I was going to ease off on on the gluten free - mostly just with bread, which is very limited in my life anyway. I don't mind GF pasta, and I use rice a lot. I am OK with corn, so allowing gluten back in my life is really a pretty small concession. She seemed to think it was OK to see

The other revelation that I had talking to Rebecca is that now that she has me eating more regularly, and paying attention and responding to my hunger signals, my headaches haven't been as bad. Or - more specifically - I notice I get headaches when I am hungry, and since I am now seeing my headaches as a hunger signal (and responding to them) my headaches aren't as regular as they used to be, and mostly go away if I eat something. OTOH, I have also noticed that when I DO get headaches (like today) even though I can directly tie them to what I have eaten or not eaten, they are definitely worse than they used to be.

My biggest concern is my GI issues. I am making a list of things I want to talk to my doctor about. The last annual I had I had several things that I wanted to discuss with her, but she didn't spend ANY time with me then. So this year I am going to be prepared - I am writing it down so I can hand it to her. It is kind of frustrating because I have NEVER been the type to go to my doctor with a list of complaints and "health issues" so now that I actually HAVE some I don't know how to get my doctor to listen to me. The past three or four months have been much worse than I have experienced in the past. Yes - maybe they are just gross, uncomfortable things that I have to get used to, but I think that if there ARE things you can do about them it would make more sense to do them now rather than wait until they have cause more severe issues.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Headaches from undereating sound like hypoglycemia to me. And I get headaches when I don't keep my blood sugar up, too. I haven't ever been tested for hypoglycemia -- I've seen people with more extreme forms, and I don't quite fit that profile, either -- but when I have had the glucose tolerance test during pregnancies my response to the sugar has been impressive (as though I'd never had it -- my blood sugar drops that quickly), and when I was tested for PCOS my blood sugar was lower than normal -- they expected it to come back high, because people with PCOS are marginally diabetic, not marginally hypoglycemic. (But I still responded to the PCOS medication, which is why I've always thought you might, too.)

As far as I know, the only treatment for low blood sugar is regular, healthy eating. Very boring. Sorry!