Thursday, December 05, 2013

Eking downwards

"Eking" is a funny word because it doesn't look like "eke".  And "eke" is also a funny word to begin with.  It's one of those things I say but seldom type.

I really did not get in any exercise yesterday, but today I put in 20 minutes on the Wii, and I actually got my heart rate up and got sweaty.  Daniel has re-started our gym membership; that would be more vigorous exercise, and I'd use it as an option more if it didn't take 20 minutes just in transit in the first place.  I'll have to figure out how to take advantage of it without having everything fall apart at home.

This evening we had our Girl Scout meeting at the fire station so we could work on our float, which we set up in their garage (they are very nice people.  Also the chief at this station is a parent for our troop, which helps considerably).  This meant a lot of running back and forth between the activity room and the garage -- not a long distance, but it adds a lot of steps when you do it enough times.  So I'm up to 6000+ steps today.

I'm not having trouble keeping my eating in check, still.  There just haven't been a lot of special opportunities for unfettered snacking.  When I'm in my routine I don't get into the junk food, and I have a set diet for breakfast and lunch and our dinners are usually healthy -- the real ways I can cut calories over my usual intake are by avoiding extra desserts or sweet snacks mid-afternoon, and by avoiding overindulging at night.  Since Daniel is dieting, too, the high-calorie foods aren't coming out in the evenings, and even when they were, I could usually remind myself that these are really his vices, not mine -- I'd eat a huge slice of cheesecake or a double dish of ice cream or a pile of cookies, not a bag of chips and half a pound of cheese, if I were choosing the junk.

No comments: