Thursday, June 23, 2011

An interesting although not surprising study

I found this new study on eating. Interestingly I eat yogurt daily with fresh fruit, gave up all sodas three years ago and rarely eat fries -- although they are delicious.

If I work from home I do watch TV but don't snack -- I don't buy chips or candy or any kind of junk food for that matter. I should weigh 125. What is up with that. haha

Anyway, enjoy the study.

When it comes to keeping your weight down, a new study by Harvard researchers suggests that the quality of your food matters more than its calorie count.

Intuitively, we know that gorging on burgers and French fries and slurping down soda leads to more weight gain than eating fresh fruits, veggies and brown rice. But in the most comprehensive and detailed study of its kind, researchers have figured out exactly how much weight gain is associated with the consumption of certain foods.

The worst offenders were potato chips, which led to more weight gain per serving than any other food, the study found. The best nosh for your waistline? Surprisingly, yogurt.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I saw an article on this earlier today, too. I thought it was surprising that even baked and boiled potatoes were on the unhealthy list. Because the project is so huge, the study can't show that the foods in particular are unhealthy, but that the people who eat the foods are gaining weight. So baked potatoes may be bad because the people typically eat them with butter and sour cream and don't eat the skins. And yogurt may be good for one's weight because the people who eat it also eat whole grain foods and lots of fruit and vegetables. Still, this was an impressive study, if only because the scope was SO huge!

Amy said...

You and me both! By my math I should have been losing 1.5 pounds a week over the last six years - which, from my starting weight of 215.4 should put me at a loss of 468 pounds. Which means right now I should actually weigh negative 252.60. Ironically, (is that irony?) POSITIVE 252.6 is what I currently weigh. Hummmmm. Maybe my math is off.

I have always been a big fan of yogurt and NEVER have been a soda drinker. I don't eat a lot of potatos - but I don't really avoid them either. I prefer whole grains and my body eargly purges fats so I have never been a fan of fatty foods.

I do like me some sugar though. The one aspect of my diet I could change is my sugar intake.