Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hufflepuff

I would like to claim any of the other houses, but I am definitely a Hufflepuff. I can tell from all of the huffing and puffing I do when I walk. Or stand. Or laydown.

So, I am shocked and appalled at how quickly I got out of shape. Not external shape - I was never IN external shape. I also never saw much advantage in the exercise I would grudgingly force myself to do. I never lost weight. I never lost flab. I never built muscle. I never got stronger. The only exercise I SAW improvement doing was yoga. That DID make me stronger, and more flexible, and able to move better. After now, many months of NOT doing anything aerobic (other than two water aerobic classes, one swimming session, and two weeks worth of dog walking over the summer) I can tell you that my clothes fit about the same, my butt and legs are no less flabby but no MORE flabby, my muscles don't get any more firm really - so VISUALLY exercise does me no good. HOWEVER, I can tell you that for the first time in my life I am huffing and puffing like a fat old lady! The weird mis-rhythem of my breathing seems to have passed for the most part. I still notice it in the shower which is probably related to the steam - and I still notice it when I am stressed - but not as much as before and not as constantly as before. I also am no longer doing the staggered deep breath - which is a big relief to me. So - all of the huffing and puffing I am doing now is ONLY related to me being out of shape.

I am with Emily. I need a challenge too. I have made NO progress with the low GI diet planning. I need someone to give me a specific schedule of what to eat and when and why. This thing about GI levels, but off set by protein and fiber is just too confusing to me. What I SHOUDL do is plan healthy meals and then see how it measures up to the glycemic index. Hey! There is an idea. PLAN healthy meals. I'll bet they wouldn't include leftover halloween candy. OTOH, I have hardly touched the Girl Scout cookies.

In the past two weeks, however, I have given up coffee (so far successfully) and dramatically increased my water intake (although not yet to 123 oz a day... I think I will shoot for 96 ounces).

It is 16 days until Thanksgiving. Maybe I will do a 12 days thing... I have to exercise 12 days before Thanksgiving. I also need to start tracking what I eat again, and then fix the trouble areas...

No comments: