Friday, October 23, 2009

OMG I LOVE CANDY!

Yesterday when I was buying my $80 worth of Halloween candy I was thinking what a shame it is that the assorted bags of "fun size" candy aren't available year round. I was thinking of how that would be a HEALTHY thing - that if you have a craving for a Snickers you could have just a small one and not buy a whole candy bar.

Today - I am sitting next to an enormous fish bowl filled with assorted candy and I am thinking "THANK GOD this doesn't happen year round!!" That, and "I LOVE CANDY!!!" I just ate a mini Twix. OK - two. Sigh. This was after I already ate two mini Kit Kats and a mini Twix less than an hour ago. OTOH, I have in my desk drawer several pieces of candy from LAST Halloween that I never ate. Out of sight out of mind really works. Now, I suspect that if it was Twix and Kit Kats they would have been eaten - but it is Skittles and Laffy taffy and stuff. No - I am wrong. There are two Nestles bars and a package of Whoppers. OK - out of sight, etc... Luckily the candy bowl is actually BEHIND me. I have only dipped in when I have had to go to the file cabinets.

All that being said - I love Halloween candy. Katie and I were discussing the fine line you walk deciding when to buy the Halloween candy, so it won't all be eaten before the main event. I bought yesterday, not because I thought it was the right date but because I was concerned that I wouldn't have the money closer to Halloween to be able to afford the candy that I would need to buy. It just occurred to me that I didn't get any Nutrageous. Those are one of my favorite candy bars that I only eat at Halloween. I may need to get some... Sigh.

So, I took a mental health day off yesterday. It was good. I went to the post office, got a precription filled, ran a few small errands, FINALLY made apple butter (no applesauce this year since I have some still from last year), and did laundry. It was a nice day. The apple butter doesn't seem as good as normal. Too much sugar? Too many spices? It has an odd underlaying flavor that I didn't care for - almost like the apples weren't as good as normal. Too tart? Bitter? Something. Of course, this was tasting it hot off of a spoon, but it may be just fine cold on toast. I am going to give little jars to co-workers for Christmas, and slightly bigger ones to my Why Catholic group.

So between Sarah and my boss I have decided NOT to wait until my next annual appointment to talk to my doctor about my breathing. I tried calling for an appointment a bit ago but the office is closed for lunch. Who closes for lunch? Anyway, I strongly suspect that what is happening isn't long term serious (i.e. emphasyma, congestive heart failure, etc.) however, it is possible that there IS fluid in or around my lungs left over from my sickness this past spring, and it ISN'T getting any better or going away. If it IS something that is in/on my lungs, then getting it dried up is probably something that should happen sooner rather than later. Ugh.

No comments: