Tuesday, October 06, 2009

No Excuses Day One - FAIL

So, as I am sure you all know, I have been JUST HORRIBLE about exercise this year. I have been doing my weekly yoga class like clockwork - but other than that I could probably name EVERY exercise event in the past calendar year from memory because there have been so few. I did some MINOR walking off and on during the spring. I took Davey for two short walks daily for two weeks in the summer. I went swimming once and did two sessions of water aerobics in August. I was doing weekly water aerobics in January - but none since Sarah's birthday party. THAT IS IT. I have been a big slug.

So this past weekend Sarah and I went to Girl Scout camp to check out the spider situation (and luckily, the road situation - spiders are fine, road is NOT). I was pathetically out of breath before I got 10 feet from the car. OK - maybe 10 yards... but we were doing NOTHING and I was huffing and puffing like the fat old lady I am! Sarah pointed out to me that if I were to have a heart attack she wouldn't be able to help me because we were too far from anything. I don't think it is LIKELY that I would have a heart attack. My heart rate seemed perfectly reasonable - but my lung capacity is absolutely nill. I have been noticing (and I think I have commented on it before) that I have been having a difficult time breathing for about six months now. No - difficult time breathing isn't quite right... I have been finding myself out of breath at unexpected times; in the shower, getting out of bed, when I am kneeling in church, etc. I have been paying more attention and I have noticed that I have developed this habit of holding my breath for no apparent reason. I know we all pause while breathing - it isn't a constant in out, in out. It is usually in out pause in out pause. OR - in yoga (and maybe this is more normal) you are supposed to pause on the inhale - in pause out, in pause out. Is that what you all do? Check for me because I am curious. My current habit is in out pause. My pauses are getting longer I think. Or I am more aware of my pauses now. I find myself gasping sometimes - or - as I said, out of breath.

So, I decided I have five days (this was Sunday night when I was smoking my knees, I am really beginning to question my sanity. Seriously.) to get myself in shape for Conowingo. This was going to involve five sessions at the gym walking UPHILL on the treadmill. Yesterday being day one. I knew I wouldn't be able to go during the day since I was doing payroll, so I would go afterwards. I ended up (and this was NOT because anything is better than working out!) staying at work until about 10:30pm. I didn't go to the gym. I ate a late dinner and went to bed at about 12:45. That wasn't enough wind down time because I lay in bed having - not a panic attack - but stress symptoms until close to 2am. I SHOULD have just gotten up and walked! That probably would have helped.

So - my plan for today is to go to the gym after my morning meeting. Oh - I just found out that is cancelled. Well - my PLAN is to go to the gym today. Maybe I will do that now... And then I want to do a make up session of yoga tonight - but that is at 7:45pm and I may not still be around for it. I wouldn't get home until 9:45 or so. I don't know how I feel about two late nights.

OK - My plan is to NOT have a heart attack at Girl Scout camp. I haven't quite decided how that will happen...

No comments: