Tuesday, October 13, 2009

No heart attack for me!

Thank goodness! Camping was pretty fun this weekend. The weather - for the most part - was beautiful. It was hot/humid Friday night - and the wildlife sounded like a jungle - but a heavy rain storm came through at midnight and continued off and on all night (I know because I was awake). It petered out just at dawn. It was then overcast and drizzley until about 10 or 11 am, when it cleared up and was pretty for the rest of the day. It began to get chilly towards sunset and by the time we went to bed it was just over 40 degrees. The next morning was foggy and still cold, but by the time we were loading the cars and getting ready to go it had cleared up to be a beautiful sunny fall day.

The exercise was fairly minimal, and so didn't kill me. We did two walks on Saturday to the river - which was no more than a 1/4 of a mile from our camp. It was pseudo hilly - but only one walk back to our camp had us go up the full steep hill. That I did very slowly under the guise of helping one poor trailing girl. Much to my relief, her back was hurting her too. 8-) My breathing wasn't too bad at any point. The worst part was walking from the parking lot to the camping area when we first arrived - that was .44 miles (I did Map My Run to find that). That probably wouldn't have been too bad except it was in the dark, up-hill, and on a very uneven surface, with our stuff. And it was hot and humid. The return trip on Sunday wasn't as bad since it was daylight, downhill, and much cooler. But - my arm on Monday was sore from dragging my bag through the gravel. Poor Lydia, who I was walking with that day, sat down in the middle of the road when we were almost to the parking lot to rest. I had carried her sleeping bag for her on Friday - I don't know why I didn't on Sunday. I think I must have had something else in that hand - but I can't think what.

Then I locked my keys in my trunk and Katie had to rescue us.

While we were waiting we walked around the camp some more, and down to the stream again. The walk was very nice - but my back started bothering me. Not the part caused by weak abs, but the point on my lower left hip, just at my pelvic bone, that first started hurting when we went to Disney two years ago. It hurt for MONTHS after that trip, and still hurts when I am loading the dishwasher. (I think that is because of the semi-bent position I stand in to do that.) I have discovered that a forward bend, or any stretch where you broaden the muscles across your hips, relieves the pain immediately, but only as long as you are in that stretched position. As soon as I stand back up it hurts again. I don't know if that is a muscle or nerve problem. I am inclined to think it is a muscle spasam, because you can feel the knot where it is, but it could also be spasaming and knotting there because a nerve is being pressed funny. I don't know. I thought about getting a professional massage done - but haven't yet. I have a friend from yoga who gave me her husband's card. He does shiatsu massages. Maybe I will call him.

Anyway - my weight was up AGAIN today. Another new high. However, I have been sick to my stomach all day, so maybe I will have lost it by tomorrow. 8-)

No comments: