Sunday, December 06, 2009

18 days of Christmas -- feelin' good

One week down about three to go ... it's amazing what a week can do. I exercised each day and even got out for a nice, though wet, walk on Saturday during the crazy snowstorm to take photos.

So I've been doing about eight exercises a day -- 3x10 -- with either 10 or 15lb weights. Sometimes I do them all at once, sometimes I divide them up. I've done a bunch of lunges, dead lifts and squats and haven't had any issues with my knees. Whew. I highly recommend dead lifts. If done right you will feel it. I tell you though, Mike Heatlie is right, those exercises -- lunges, squats, dead lifts -- work many many parts and I can feel the difference in only seven days.

Today I did walking lunges and actually really liked them even though they kicked my butt. I can say right now that my butt is a burnin'. Feels good.

I've also done some good biking on the trainer -- mostly interval -- one minute fast -- two off and so on. When I take the metro into DC I walk all the escalators etc.

The biggest positives -- I'm not stiff in the morning -- this is after one week -- and my right shoulder that has been killing me for months (I couldn't lift a cup of coffee into the microwave over my stove) is actually feeling pretty good. I can't quite do a full pushup with my body weight but I can hold my weight with my arms outstretched. Planks weren't ever a problem. I can't even tell you all how happy I am that my shoulder is improving. I'm getting a massage tomorrow and I'm hoping that some of the general tightness I'm experiencing will be fully released. :-)

In addition, my food was pretty good. I made every meal and focused on good veggies and proteins and I mixed it up a bit so I wouldn't get bored. But I kept it simple. Oatmeal with fruit, yogurt with fruit and I tried a new baked egg recipe that was delish. Also no alcohol at all last week. I'm trying to reserve that for any party-going.

So into week two I go.

No comments: