Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Taking the week off

I didn't weigh myself this morning. I didn't do anything this morning related to health or wellness. I had an English muffin with butter and coffee for breakfast. So there. I'm taking this week off and will get back into the swing of diet and exercise next week.

I've gotten my official race results back from the triathlon and I am finally admitting that I didn't completely suck. My times were 28:26 for the swim, 1:10 for the bike, and 34:05 for the run. All of these times were within the top 1000 finishers (994 for the swim, my slowest event; 757 for the bike and 574 for the run) and my overall place was 748 (out of 1722 finishers) and 162 out of 351 in my age group. So well within the top half overall. But my transition times were awful! 4:25 for the first transition and 2:27 for the second--1054th in the first transition and 1063rd in the second (yes, you get place times for transition!). So that's an area where I can make some gains without too much effort, I think. I was especially pleased with my run time, even though it wasn't really fast. But keeping up a 10 minute per mile pace has always been difficult for me, and in this race I came out with a 9:45 pace. The bike leg was also good--my average speed was just a hair under 15 m.p.h. (my computer said a bit over, but the official time had it at 14.9). My best for that course has only been a little over 14 m.p.h. and my usual average for most rides is more like 13 m.p.h. My total race time was 2:19:44

General race report: I didn't sleep well at all the night before. I tried going to bed at 9:30 but wasn't able to fall asleep. Finally fell asleep after 11, then woke up at 2:45 and never got back to sleep. I gave up at 3:30 and got up and ready for the race. I couldn't eat much breakfast--too nervous, so I only got down half a bowl of oatmeal and some cantaloupe. I left the house at 4:20 and was one of the first 100 people or so on site. And then we stood in line and waited and waited. They were supposed to open the site at 4:45 but it was more like 5:00--the first of many delays of the day. I got to my soaking wet bike (lots of rain the day before--the hill down to the transition area was treacherous and there was lots of talk about people likely falling on their butts coming back from the bike portion of the race when we'd have to run down that slippery, muddy hill with no-traction bike shoes at top speed rolling our bikes alongside us) and it took just a few minutes to get my area set up, then I had two hours to kill. I walked around and found the few people I knew who were racing that day, then walked the course a bit (the swim course looked frighteningly long), kept calling Amy (who wasn't answering-her phone was off. She had volunteered to arrive early and be my official photographer), and kept drinking water because my mouth was so dry from nerves.

Amy arrived just as they were closing the transition area (meaning I had to get out and go to the swim start). I heard on the way that they were starting the race 15 minutes late. The rumor was that the pros hadn't shown up yet, but the newspaper later reported it was because the traffic was so backed up that a LOT of people were having difficulties getting onto the site. By the time I got to the start they had pushed it back further and would ultimately start 25 or 30 minutes late. Amy managed to find me in the huge crowd clogging up the lakefront and got a picture of me with my nervous smile, then gave me a couple of grapes that were perfect--enough sugar and juice to finally take care of my dry mouth.

So to start this race you wait for your wave (going off about 10 minutes apart each), then wade into the water and tread water for four minutes before starting the swim. While waiting for my wave I caught up with Jenny and Maura, two women I went to college with. We were friendly but not really friends in college, but it was so nice to know two people there in my wave (Jenny very kindly married a man with a name in the first half of the alphabet so we could all be in the same wave. I'm sure that's why she chose him.) and not feel utterly alone. As soon as we were in the water I lost them--I moved to the back so I wouldn't hinder the faster swimmers and they both finished the swim well ahead of me. I didn't see Jenny at all the rest of the day, and I only saw Maura from a distance.

Surprisingly, the swim went really well. This was the part I was dreading after my disastrous dress rehearsal a few weeks ago. But I had none of the same problems--I never went off course, never felt out of breath, my cap stayed firmly on my head, my goggles didn't leak. I alternated breast stroke and freestyle and just took it easy, rolling on each breath to get a good look at the sky and repeating Dory's song in my head ("just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim."). The water felt good, the sun was coming out and it was just nice out there. I gave myself 32 minutes for the swim and was pleased to look at my watch afterwards and see that I finished in under 30.

I thought I hurried through transition, but obviously I didn't! I got the nasty grass and mud off my feet as best I could, shoved on my shoes and helmet and gloves and glasses, downed some water and energy gel and took off with my bike. My legs felt like lead--I've never done the swim to bike transition before (except at the tri in April, but that was such a short swim I didn't have time to tire out) and there's a steep hill out of the transition area that you have to push your bike up. The first two miles on the bike were similarly tiring, but after that I loosened up and just enjoyed the ride. I've said before that this is a fun ride--nice roads and beautiful scenery, and it was even better without having to stop at intersections and with lots of people cheering us on along the way. I saw Sara (Connor's teacher) when I was about five miles from the finish and she was five miles into the ride (she was in a later wave), and she noticed me at the same time. Kinda cool that out of 2000 people we managed to pass each other and wave.

Through transition again, where I was happy to see that they put a long fake grass outdoor carpet over the muddy hill so no one was falling down, change of shoes and hat, more water, got ten feet from my spot and realized that I still had on my gloves so I wasted time going back to take them off and drop them. Then off on the run and dreading the hills at the halfway point in the race. I've only managed to run the whole course once before and I really wanted to run the whole thing that day, but I didn't make it--I slowed to a walk at the top of two hills and once more to get some water at one of the aid stations. For a while, until the real hills hit, I was neck and neck with another runner who was using the strategy of walking up the hills and then running fast on the downside. That worked pretty well--she was keeping up with my steady pace (I'd pass her going up, she'd pass me going down) but I lost her at a long flat bit where slow and steady won out. After that I tried keeping up with other runners as much as I could and ended up in a pack of Team Fight runners at the 3 mile mark. Two of them dropped back so I was with the one remaining one and she and I sprinted when the finish line was in sight. She won--I couldn't keep up at that point--but that group was probably responsible for my 9:45 pace. I really think my last mile was faster than my first.

The finish line was a madhouse. I heard Brian yelling as I passed (while sprinting) but Maureen and Claire missed me entirely, and Amy and Katie were waiting at the finish and missed seeing me cross in the scrum of people there. I saw them before they saw me. No one except me heard my name announced (I was listening for it since of course I knew I had just hit the timing mat close to the finish). The cold wet sponge at the finish was one of the best things I've ever felt, and mostly I was just happy it was over. The mean, mean, mean race organizers put the finish line party/food at the TOP of a steep hill. Ugh. And I couldn't eat anything--my stomach was a bit upset (probably from the disgusting lake water!) and I didn't start to feel better until much later in the day.

So overall--fun. Tiring. Worth the effort, but no big sense of accomplishment (I kept saying it wasn't as if I learned a new skill--I just stuck together several things I already knew how to do and just did them each for longer than usual). I'm already planning how to improve my times for next year (better bike, more interval training in all three events to increase my speed, upper body work to improve my swim, new legs). Amy, Emily and Katie all want a piece of the action, which would be really cool. I'm wondering if I should aim for the triathlon on the same course they are doing in June, but that might involve a wetsuit (something I'm not opposed to--it would make the swim easier--but I don't like to take on the expense if I'm not going to use it more than once). And the June date isn't great since I did next to no training in late May and early June this year when Girl Scouts got crazy busy. But I can decide that another time.

Registration for next year's Iron Girl opens on November 3 (and closes about two days later when it fills up) so if you're going to do it, make up your mind soon!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow Sarah! Thanks for this great summary. I tried calling you a couple of times to get your official placing and times. I read this out loud to Katie and when we got to the "no great sense of accomplishment" bit we both stopped dead. I have been INSANELY proud of you - telling perfect strangers about your feat. I also specifically went into the big boss' office on Monday to tell him what you had done. NOW I can't wait to go in on Thursday to tell evreyone how WELL you did.