Sunday, August 09, 2009

While I'm here ...

watching that hysterical commercial I figured I'd write a few words.

The good: My diet is great. I'm going to the farmers market weekly -- the stand I frequent just offered me a cashiering gig for all the produce I can haul. So think I may do that for a few hours each weekend. The food I eat now is mostly fresh -- tons of salad with fresh tomatoes from my deck garden and the market. I'm also eating a lot of stone fruit right now -- peaches, nectarines and plums. There's a nice variety so I don't get bored.

I've got all processed foods out of my diet -- no high fructose corn syrup, aspartame or the like. I've almost completely eliminated sugar. I have made some homemade ice cream /sorbet/gelato this summer and that's been responsible for most of my processed sugar consumption. I'm still eating chicken, but I buy it from a local organic butcher. It's so good. I haven't eaten ground beef all year and I love hamburgers. I've also kept red meat to a minimum. In addition, I'm buying dried heirloom beans from a shop in N. Cali and they are great and last for quite awhile.

The bad: My exercise level is light years away from where I want it. But I am ramping it up a bit and hope to increase it during the Congressional recess when I'll have some time.

The ugly: My exercise has been hampered by some unexpected shoulder issues that are making a lot of exercises difficult to impossible. I woke up one morning and boom my right shoulder wasn't happy. I treated myself to a couple of massages lately and that has helped but the shoulder needs more time. Hopefully it will return to normal soonish so I can attack the pounds from all sides.


1 comment:

Amy said...

Wow! I am so impressed by your diet!! I know long term diet changes are not too hard to sustain once they are implemented for people like you and me (who don't have to keep Oreos and stuff around for other members of the household) but I know for me if I am craving something that isn't what I have on hand I will just not eat. Which is as bad (if not worse) than loading up on bad foods.