Thursday, August 20, 2009

Naked bike and ballroom dancing

Three days until race day and I'm finally getting anxious. This started yesterday when I spent some time reading other people's race reports, looking at finishing times from last year, and making a list of what I'll need on race day. Suddenly this all seems so real--up until now it was just a fantasy thing sometime in the future. Last night the anxiety dreams started--the usual stuff about being late, not knowing where I'm going, tires underinflated, etc. But the best one was where I realized I hadn't trained AT ALL for one event of the triathlon--the ballroom dancing portion. I think this is all Tom DeLay's fault! Good news, though--I made it through even that part of the race.

Yesterday I had Brian strip my bike down until it was nearly nekkid. No more rack, bell or fenders. The fenders and bell were new last year, but this is the first time since I bought the bike in 1990 that it's been without a rack. I took it in today to Princeton Sports to get the required safety inspection done, so now I have a little inspection sticker, kinda like the ones you find on meat in the grocery store, showing the bike has been approved for takeoff.

Next up is packet pickup and pre-race meeting (tomorrow) and bike racking (Saturday) and long night of upset stomach and no sleep (Saturday night to Sunday morning). I think once I'm five minutes into the swim I'll be fine, but getting to that point is absolutely NOT half the fun!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Had I not been there before you took off I would NEVER have guessed you were nervous. You looked so chill and nonchalant running from the swim to your bike. And the ballroom portion went off without a hitch. Although, next time you might want to try a floopier dress. That tri-suit just didn't swirl.