Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Again, I forgot to post on Tuesday!

I was 142.6 yesterday. I'm really feeling like these numbers mean next to nothing now--I'm at the point where I'm judging my level of fitness by my heart rate. The problem with exercising more, I'm finding, is that after a while it starts to be pretty ineffective as exercise. Back in January and February, walking Davey got my heart rate up to the low-moderate range. Now it doesn't even count as "light" exercise because walking just barely gets my heart rate up. Swimming, which used to get my heart rate up to "why aren't you dead?" now only hits the moderate zone. I know this means I should push myself harder, but it's kind of nice to go swimming without feeling like I'm in imminent danger of drowning. Running is still hard exercise, but my average heart rate is still about 10 - 12 bpm lower than it was before.

I keep having to tell myself that this is a GOOD thing. It's the whole point of aerobic exercise, right? But it doesn't burn as many calories.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

That's great! You must feel awesome for an old lady.

But I would argue your point about calorie burning. The more lean muscle mass on your body the more efficiently your body will burn calories. You're not losing weight but you've probably replaced fat with more muscle. Your body is a calorie-burning machine.

My only advice is really work on intervals and try other exercises like a boot camp and sprints. Don't just swim for 30 minutes at the same speed. Mix it up. That will burn more calories and test your fitness level. Find ways to keep your body guessing.

I like to do 10 mins on three different machines -- say elliptical, treadmill and bike and push on each one and move quickly between them.

You might add some weight lifting into the mix as well. It's really imp for women to build strength.

I've got a great boot camp routine and a few others that will work those muscles that are hiding. I can email you those. You can do them on any flat area. I got into a boot camp class at the Y awhile back and it kicked my butt. But it made me realize I was in pretty good shape and I could still push myself.

You can also try some sprint routines. It will improve your running and were recommended to me by friends who run Ironmans.

Good luck!

Sarah said...

You keep telling me about this boot camp workout--please send it along! I'd like to give it a try.

Vicki said...

I sent two emails out tongiht.

Amy said...

I am with Vickie on this one... just because you aren't passing out dead doesn't mean that you aren't burning calories and building muscle mass. Your body learns to function more effectively.